Coordination Center director, 2005–2009
Several important processes that became the foundation for the center’s activities today took place when Andrey Romanov was the director. This is when the distributed registration system was formed and developed, agreements were signed with ICANN and the Russian Ministry of Digital Development, Communications and Mass Media, and work began to launch the first Cyrillic domain, .РФ. Now Andrey Romanov is Deputy Director of the Coordination Center.
MIPT, Department of Physical and Quantum Electronics, 1973-1979.
Before the Coordination Center
Development of billing systems for internet access operators and later construction of office networks for large companies.
Years in the industry
In the ICT sphere since 1981; in the internet sphere since 1990; at the Coordination Center since 2005.
Deputy Director of the Coordination Center for TLD .RU/.РФ.
Main events at the center during his tenure
- Development of the distributed registration system, users’ transfer from RIPN to contracts with registrars
- Transferring .RU administration functions from RIPN to the Coordination Center
- Signing an agreement with ICANN
- Signing an agreement with the Russian Ministry of Digital Development, Communications and Mass Media
- Starting work as a CENTR member
- Participation in developing the Fast Track rules for national IDNs.
- Starting work to launch .РФ, preparing an application and submitting it to ICANN
- Admittance to the IGF project
- Launching TLDCON
- Changing the principles of forming the Coordination Center Board
Andrey’s brief characteristic of the Coordination Center during his tenure
Excessive attention from the state.